Friday, September 03, 2004

Just coping

This weekend: one funeral, one wedding. "Siggghhhh", to both.

There is still no word on The Job. Disappointing, as I said to myself, "Well, by the long weekend, this whole thing will be resolved anyway and even if I don't get it, then at least I won't have it hanging over my head anymore."

Wrong. Should I have expected anything else?

I'm also waiting to hear about another job at a Marketing firm that I wouldn't mind being offered, simply because I've been told by a friend who works there that it's a very hectic, sometimes stressful place. It may not be my dream job, but hectic and stressful mean I'd be BUSY, and I'll take busy over bored any day of the week.

But the person who is in charge of hiring for that job is in the States until after the weekend, and I'm told he likely won't get around to hiring for it for a few weeks anyway.

Which means, I need to find ways to cope with my current job.

I never thought I'd ever be a person who had to cope with their job. Up until this point in my life, I adored my career. I loved being a journalist; while the actual day-to-day goings-on in some of the newsrooms I worked in were draining, I still loved the work I was doing every day.

Now? I'm in a soul-sucking job, working in a cubicle, doing something I don't care one lick about. I have said to myself, my entire life, "I will never work a desk job!" Alas, here I am. I am gravely disappointed in where I've ended up.

However. In the interest of maintaining my sanity so I can actually present myself well if I should get an interview somewhere else... I have to find some ways to make it through the day. One way, the only one I've devised so far, is to start running on the track at lunch every day. That's a dual-benefit activity, obviously: smaller ass, and at least 40 minutes away from my desk.

That's the only feasible one I've come up with so far.

That, and bringing Bailey's Irish Cream to work to put in my coffee. Three shots per cup, six cups per day, and I suspect this job will be a fucking dream.
|