Tuesday, October 26, 2004

The point is in there...

Last year on Thanksgiving Monday (Cda.) I was sick. Really bad flu or cold or something, I can't remember. I just know I was laid out on the couch for the entire day with a shade of skin that R. described as "green".

That day, I came across a daytime reality show called StartingOver. They put six women in a house, each with their own issues, and each with a "goal" at the end. There are two life-coaches and a therapist who give these women assignments, and work with them to deal with their issues and reach their goal. (Eg: One young woman came in the SO house to break the cycle of poverty and get off welfare, another older woman came in with the intention of re-inventing herself after a mid-life crisis, yet another woman came to get help in getting over the tragic death of her husband... etc.)

It's an incredibly positive show. The women come in emotionally wrecked in a lot of cases, and they "graduate" two or three months later with a brand new lease on life. It's quite something and, as R. says, there isn't enough stuff out there like it. Empowering women who don't have the resources to do it themselves? Fantastic.

At the end of last season, they chose not to renew the contract of one of the life coaches. Instead they brought in someone whose books got me through some of my most difficult times: Iyanla Vanzant. Her books speak to me, that's all I know.

On yesterday's show, she said something that was incredibly powerful.

"You never know when the next moment will be THE MOMENT. Don't give up believing, five minutes before the miracle happens."

I know she knows how hard that is. Shouldn't be that hard for me.
|