Wednesday, November 17, 2004

They tricked me. I can't believe they tricked me.

So, I just had my interview for the job that I currently hold. The one that would make me a permanent employee, no longer on contract.

Except, due to Human Resources rules, they had to post this job and so I'm actually up against other people.

Of course the irony remains that I hate my job and don't want to work there anymore, but that's besides the point. Until I have a job offer from somewhere else where I really want to work, I need this one.

So, as I was saying, I had my interview.

And they flippin' tricked me.

First, may I just say that it's unnerving and very uncomfortable to be interviewed by your current boss and one of your co-workers. You'd think it would be a breeze, but you'd be wrong. It's hard to bullshit to your boss when she already knows you and what the truth is.

Anyway. The trick.

The last question the HR woman asked me (the HR woman, who I have had to wait behind for the microwave on our floor at lunch time) was about time management. How do I manage my time and my work.

I gave the requisite answer about making lists, order of priority, etc, etc. Blah blah blah and blah.

Then, after the 30 minute interview part, I had to go and pretend to be a writer doing a story about a new staff member at my workplace, and I had to interview him for the story. 10 minutes for the interview, in a very cold office where my hand had a hard time gripping the pen to write.

THEN, I had to take the interview material, go into a little room with a computer, and write two pieces: a story for the internal newsletter, and a media release announcing the "hiring" of this new staff member. That is the order on which they're listed on the instruction sheet I was given. 20 minutes alloted for the two, in total. And.... GO.

I got the internal newsletter piece done very quickly -- figuring out the tip on a restaurant bill is more challenging for me.

Then I got about four lines into the media release, when the HR person came to tell me my time was up.

And that's when it hit me.

Order of priority.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd write the media release first, because it's more important to let the public know about the new guy? The internal folks can figure it out themselves.

Hot damn, they tricked me.

Rather, they called me on my bullshit answer about time management and making lists and blah, blah, blah. The truth? I have no system. I get things done as I feel like doing them, but because I work so damn quickly, everything always gets done way before it's due. Easy-peasy.

They out-bullshitted me. Bastards.

The thing is that I'm not upset about the fact that I might have hurt my chances for this job based on not completing both assignments in the time alloted (which, MIGHT I add, is completely unreasonable and totally not realistic?) I'm upset that these people, who I DON'T EVEN WANT TO WORK FOR, got the better of me.

Blast.
|