Monday, January 03, 2005

Feeling old...

At the supermarket today, I went to pay and the young male cashier ran my items through. My total was $39.46. He handed me a "frequent shopper" card, a new promotion at my favorite grocery store, where you get a stamp for every $20 you spend there. Once you've spent $200 there, you get some kind of discount on your next shopping trip.

Sweet.

Except, I obviously was JUST below the $40 mark -- only one stamp for Pinky.

I said, "I'll buy a chocolate bar to get that extra stamp!"

And he said to me, "Naw, you're so cute, you deserve the extra stamp."

BLINK. BLINK. Whhhhaaat!?

I was wearing Old Navy pajama bottoms and running shoes, no makeup, and hadn't washed my hair. And I'm sure the red flush that overtook my face was also "tres attractif".

I looked at him and said, "Ohh... that's really nice of you to say--", and I stopped before I said, "---young man."

YOUNG MAN! I thought the words, YOUNG MAN! What am I, 90?!

For God's SAKE, I'm not even 30 years old!

Oy. Talk about ruining your own little flattering moment. I am SUCH a nerd.
|