Sunday, February 06, 2005

Unsettled

Ok. I need someone to tell me why I'm over-reacting (and how not to) in this situation.

The woman who owns the house I'm about to take possession of is very cool. I mean this in the sense that she's kind, she's giving, and she's ultra honest. I've met her three times now, and she has gone out of her way to make sure that I'm getting everything I'm entitled to with this house and more.

Yesterday, she gave me a blender and a hand-mixer, plus some wicker baskets for storage.

Free.

Just because she doesn't need them when she moves to Calgary.

I tried to pay her, she wouldn't take it.

She keeps telling me she's going to leave other things behind that she doesn't want to take... the outside garbage can and some shovels for the snow and rakes and other gardening tools. And various kitchen utensils and so on. Again, I try to offer her money and she refuses.

HOWEVER. (You knew there was a catch.)

In September, she allowed her neice to come live with her for a few months. Turns out this was a bad decision, because the neice is a dishonest mooch, and she has a good-for-nothing fiance who is twice as bad.

They've tried to steal things, they've wrecked things and refused to pay to fix them... etc.

The homeowner is too nice to make them leave. They're moving out only a day or two before she does, which is the day before I take possession. Meaning, I get the house on the 25th. She is moving out on the 24th. The neice and fiance are leaving on the 22nd and 23rd.

My worry here is that they're going to damage things and/or take things that aren't rightfully theirs, on their way out.

I'm not thinking they're going to leave big dents in the walls or anything, but that they'll take... stuff. Light fixtures or other items that are supposed to come with the house, or the bamboo plants she promised to leave me... the garbage cans and the snow shovels. Etc.

Already, today, I went over there to pick up the lawnmower that she sold me (just because I don't trust the neice and fiance), and he appeared all of a sudden and tried to hide the weed-whacker that was included with the purchase of the lawnmower.

He tried to hide it so I wouldn't see it and take it. Even though I paid for it.

Am I overreacting in being worried about their presence in my soon-to-be home?

Am I not giving these people enough credit, for not taking things that aren't theirs?

The fact is, she's only one person and she only has one set of eyes with which to watch them pack stuff up. While the neice is in the kitchen, the fiance will be in the shed. She can't be everywhere.

If I'm NOT over-reacting, then what can I do to make the next three weeks easier so I'm not up at night worrying about this? (Because I will be. Up. At. Night.)

Help me. This is where my extreme neurosis emerges. (And maybe even a hint of anxiety.)

For the record, I am having all of the locks re-keyed on possession date. To be safe.
|