Monday, May 02, 2005

It wasn't me.

I'm sure everyone has heard about the "runaway bride" by now.

I feel very sorry for that girl.

Yes, yes, I'm well aware: talk to your family, talk to your friends, talk to your FIANCE. Don't scare the entire population of your town by faking your own abduction.

But you know what? She had to be terrified about getting married. TER-IF-IED. Terrified. I can so fully identify with her right now, it's not even funny.

That could have been me.

I know how it is to feel so trapped, that you have no option but to run. Luckily for me, I only emotionally ran away.

Ha. Only. Ask R. if it's "only".

The point here is that I know how she was feeling. It had to be really bad to do what she did. I know it was stupid -- and yes, I think she probably should be charged by authorities because I don't condone "fraud" under any circumstances -- but the reason she probably couldn't tell her family, friends and fiance is the same reason it was so hard for me:

The expectations are so fucking high from the SECOND you announce your engagement that if you show even the smallest sign that maybe you're not dripping with joy from every orifice, people FREAK OUT.

Give the girl a break.

It really could have been me.
|